Rugs are essential to every home. We love the way they bring character, warmth, and color to each space. However, rug placement can be tricky, and we get more questions about rugs and rug sizing than any other category! After years of measuring, placing, and styling rugs for all kinds of rooms, we’ve learned a few tricks that make rug buying a breeze!
Scroll through our room-by-room guide to read our best tips and see example photos. Don’t forget, you can shop select rugs in our Black Friday Sale through the end of the week!
- Make sure the dining chairs are all on the rug around the entire table
- Make sure the rug extends the table at least 8” on each side
- Leave at least 1 foot of floor around the perimeter of the room
- Typical sizes are 6×9, 8×10, 9×12
- Leave at least 8” of space from the nightstands to the beginning of the rug.
- Make sure the rug extends the bed by at least 1 foot.
- Typical rug size for a King bed is 9×12.
- Make sure your rug doesn’t extend the nightstands.
- Make sure the rug has at least 8” of space on the sides of the bed.
- Typical rug size for a Queen bed is 8×10.